My First Ultrasound
Ultrasounds are used in pregnancy to check a baby’s development and pick up abnormalities. There are various types of ultrasound available for you to choose from.
Basic information on an ultrasound that can be useful to first timers when choosing the type of scanning that you should go for:
|1.||2D (Dimensional) Scan|
|2.||3D Scan, 4D Scan|
Notes – Reasons for Ultrasound:
- Routine foetal ultrasound is conducted between 18 and 20 weeks of pregnancy.
- It is also conducted to check on the mum’s health; monitor and evaluate foetal growth and development (heartbeat, breathing, physical form, etc).
- It can be a bonding experience to see your baby inside the womb.
- To help determine the baby’s gestational age and due date (determine baby’s health according to its size and physical features).
- To check the size and location of the placenta.
- To confirm the number of babies – twins, etc.
- Identify possible abnormalities (enable early intervention that can save your baby).
- Identify baby’s gender (results are not 100% accurate or conclusive)
- To check the baby’s growth in the 3rd trimester if concerns arise.